The International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum, housed in the historic Newport Casino, is an uncommon example of sporting excellence. The entire history of the sport, dating from the 12th Century through today, is chronicled within its 18 galleries. The Museum encompasses more than 20,000 square feet of interactive exhibits, momentous videos and popular memorabilia of tennis champions past and present. The Museum’s permanent collection alone contains more than 16,000 objects. The Library and Information Research Center has upwards of 5,000 books; more than 4,000 tapes and films; more than 300,000 photo images, and an abundant collection of magazines, programs, periodicals, posters, and personal player memorabilia.
American tournament tennis began in 1881 when the first U.S. National Lawn Tennis Championships were hosted in Newport, Rhode Island on the grass courts that are now home to the International Tennis Hall of Fame. This tournament, which evolved into today’s US Open, was played at the Casino until 1915 when it moved to Forest Hills, New York. However, Newport’s historic tennis tradition continues each summer when the Hall of Fame presents the only professional tennis tournament played on grass in the United States. The Hall of Fame is indeed distinguished from other sports museums because tennis is still played on the grounds where virtually every historical champion has graced its beautiful grass courts.
International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum
194 Bellevue Avenue